You have a wonderful idea for a book. You've been working on it for a long time, or perhaps you're having trouble even getting started. Author Enabler can help you fine-tune your manuscript or proposal and prepare it for the marketplace. We provide you with the experienced assistance of a published author (fiction and nonfiction), book publicist, copyeditor, and marketing manager.
Or perhaps your book has already been sold, is about to be published, and you want to supplement your publicity and marketing campaign without ruffling any corporate publishing feathers. We can guide you through the publicity and marketing process, helping you think of ways to work with your publisher on getting more attention and exposure for your book.
Here's a general overview of the manuscript revision process:
What does Author Enabler cost? Our fee is $1,000 for the process described above. Additionally, we are available for a line-by-line copyediting of entire manuscripts or proposals at a rate of $50.00 an hour. The rate for marketing and publicity consultation (in person or on the phone) is $50.00 per hour.
- You send an email query to AuthorEnabler@aol.com that briefly describes your book idea and the audience for the book. You should also provide a short biography and/or resume including any writing experience, and let us know whether you've already shown a proposal or manuscript to an agent or publisher.
- We let you know our initial thoughts. Please be patient—this may take a little time.
- If we agree to work together, you submit your materials to us along with a preliminary payment. Your submission should be as clear and as organized as possible, preferably electronically in Microsoft Word or hard copy, double-spaced, 12 point in a common, readable font.
- We go to work on your proposal, copyediting it by hand so that you will be able to review our suggestions and decide for yourself what to do. We may need to contact you for further information during this step.
- We return the submission to you with our suggested editorial changes, and you revise the materials. There is room here for some back-and-forth discussion, but this is best done in writing during the next step.
- When you have completed your revision, you return the materials to us along with your final payment. We do some additional copyediting and give the materials an overall look to suggest further improvements (again, in writing, so that you can choose to accept or reject our ideas). At this point we will give you our marketing and publicity guidance and suggestions regarding sending the proposal to agents and/or publishers.
Author Enabler is not a literary agent or publisher, but as veterans of the book world we can give you tips and shortcuts to help you navigate the exciting, but sometimes frustrating and intimidating publishing process. We do not promise that your book will be published, but we do promise you our intelligent, experienced, and caring attention to making your manuscript or book proposal the best in can be.
Kathi Kamen Goldmark & Sam Barry
San Francisco, California
Author Enabler is a division of "Don't Quit Your Day Job" Productions, Inc.